Programme for 2017
- Pre-booking is essential for all walks and weekends away. For booking in for walks phone club phone 087 6805105 before 9p.m. on the Wednesday previous to the walk, to confirm numbers for the bus. Late bookers may have to bring their cars.
- A good level of fitness is required for all walks.
- For Sunday walks meet at 8am in Fair Green, for Saturday walks meet at 8am at B&Q.
- Walks usually involve a 5 to 6 hour walk. Our aim is to have an A(difficult), B (moderate)and C(easy) walk to suit different standards of walkers.
January 8th Walk by the River Nore in Durrow, Co Laois
February 5th Slieve Blooms, Co Offaly (Cadamstown to Kinnity)
March 5th Hill of Tara, Co Meath
April 2nd Maam Turks, Co. Galway
May 7th Sheeffry Hills, Co Mayo
June 11th Burren, Co.Clare
July 2nd Galtees, Co.Tipperary
August 4th to 7th Glenbeigh Weekend, Co Kerry. Leave Friday return Monday. Deposits to Michael Colohan. More details later.
September 2nd Twelve Bens, Co. Galway. Note this is a Saturday walk.
October 1st Djouce, Co. Wicklow
October 27th to 30th Weekend in Carlingford, Co LouthLeave Friday, return Monday. Deposits to Jim O’Connor. More details later.
November 12th Arrow Mountains, Co Tipperary
December 3rd Boora Bog, Co. Offaly
All walks are subject to change due to weather conditions etc.
- Walks take place monthly and usually on the 1st Sunday of each month (except after bank holidays – 2nd Sunday).
- For monthly walks phone 087 6805105 before 9p.m. on the Wednesday previous to the walk, to confirm numbers for the bus. Late bookers may have to bring their cars.
Requirements for all walks:
- Strong Walking Boots (Essential)
- Comfortable clothing (not jeans)
- Rucksack (25 to 35 Ltr)
- Waterproof clothing
- Water (1 to 2 litres)
- Food and warm drink
- Spare dry clothing
- Survival bag (bivvy bag)
- Personal first aid kit.. plasters and blister plasters, mediwipes, triangular bandage, pins, sterile water, foil survival bag, paracetamol,antiseptic cream.
Extra items for those cold days:
Hat and gloves
Spare warm fleece
(These items should be in the rucksack all year round as it can get cold on the mountains.)
NB: It must be remembered that walking with a group is not the same as walking alone. All walkers must stay together and in constant contact with the leaders.