Note a few more changes to our 2016 programme (changes marked with *)
Further changes ** July walk on the 10th
Note some changes to the 2016 programme (January 13th 2016}
Programme for 2016
- Pre-booking is essential for all walks and weekends away. For booking in for walks phone club phone 087 6805105 before 9p.m. on the Wednesday previous to the walk, to confirm numbers for the bus. Late bookers may have to bring their cars.
- A good level of fitness is required for all walks.
- For Sunday walks meet at 8am in Fair Green, for Saturday walks meet at 8am at B&Q.
- Walks usually involve a 5 to 6 hour walk. Our aim is to have an A(difficult), B (moderate)and C(easy) walk to suit different standards of walkers.
January 10th Canal Walk Co Westmeath, Kilbeggan to Ballycommon
February 7th Burren, Co Clare (Weather permitting)
March 13th* Slieve Blooms
April 10th Maam Turks, Co. Galway
May 8th Burren, Co Clare
June 3rd to June 6th Scaffel Pike England. (Lake District). Booking must be confirmed with deposit of €100 by 31st January to Jim O’Connor
**July 10th Galtees, Co. Tipperary
July 29th to 1st August Weekend to Leenane Co Galway. Booking for this trip must be confirmed with deposit of €50 to Mike Colohan by 30th May.
September 11th The Twelve Bens, Co. Galway
October 2nd Co. Wicklow
October 28th to 31st: Comeragh Mountains, Co Waterford. Booking must be confirmed with deposit of €50 to Jim O’Connor by August 29th.
November 6th Eagle Rock & Truskmore, Co. Sligo
December 4th Howth, Co. Dublin
All walks are subject to change due to weather conditions etc.
- Walks take place monthly and usually on the 1st Sunday of each month (except after bank holidays – 2nd Sunday).
- For monthly walks phone 087 6805105 before 9p.m. on the Wednesday previous to the walk, to confirm numbers for the bus. Late bookers may have to bring their cars.
Requirements for all walks:
- Strong Walking Boots (Essential)
- Comfortable clothing (not jeans)
- Rucksack (25 to 35 Ltr)
- Waterproof clothing
- Water (1 to 2 litres)
- Food and warm drink
- Spare dry clothing
- Survival bag (bivvy bag)
- Personal first aid kit.. plasters and blister plasters, mediwipes, triangular bandage, pins, sterile water, foil survival bag, paracetamol,antiseptic cream.
Extra items for those cold days:
Hat and gloves
Spare warm fleece
(These items should be in the rucksack all year round as it can get cold on the mountains.)
NB: It must be remembered that walking with a group is not the same as walking alone. All walkers must stay together and in constant contact with the leaders.