Note some changes to the 2016 programme (January 13th 2016}
Programme for 2016
- Pre-booking is essential for all walks and weekends away. For booking in for walks phone club phone 087 6805105 before 9p.m. on the Wednesday previous to the walk, to confirm numbers for the bus. Late bookers may have to bring their cars.
- A good level of fitness is required for all walks.
- For Sunday walks meet at 8am in Fair Green, for Saturday walks meet at 8am at B&Q.
- Walks usually involve a 5 to 6 hour walk. Our aim is to have an A(difficult), B (moderate)and C(easy) walk to suit different standards of walkers.
January 10th Canal Walk Co Westmeath, Kilbeggan to Ballycommon
February 7th Burren, Co Clare (Weather permitting)
March 6th Slieve Blooms
April 10th Maam Turks, Co. Galway
May 8th Burren, Co Clare
June 3rd to June 6th Scaffel Pike England. (Lake District). Booking must be confirmed with deposit of €100 by 31st January to Jim O’Connor .
June 12th Galtees, Co. Tipperary
July 29th to 1st August Weekend to Leenane Co Galway. Booking for this trip must be confirmed with deposit of €50 to Mike Colohan by 30th May.
September 11th The Twelve Bens, Co. Galway
October 2nd Co. Wicklow
October 28th to 31st: Comeragh Mountains, Co Waterford. Booking must be confirmed with deposit of €50 to Jim O’Connor by August 29th.
November 6th Eagle Rock & Truskmore, Co. Sligo
December 4th Howth, Co. Dublin
All walks are subject to change due to Weather conditions etc.
- Walks take place monthly and on the 1st Sunday of each month (except after bank holidays – 2nd Sunday).
- For monthly walks phone 087 6805105 before 9p.m. on the Wednesday previous to the walk, to confirm numbers for the bus. Late bookers may have to bring their cars.
Requirements for all walks:
- Strong Walking Boots (Essential)
- Comfortable clothing (not jeans)
- Rucksack (25 to 35 Ltr)
- Waterproof clothing
- Water (1 to 2 litres)
- Food and warm drink
- Spare dry clothing
- Survival bag (bivvy bag)
- Personal first aid kit.. plasters and blister plasters, mediwipes, triangular bandage, pins, sterile water, foil survival bag, paracetamol,antiseptic cream.
Extra items for those cold days:
Hat and gloves
Spare warm fleece
(These items should be in the rucksack all year round as it can get cold on the mountains.)
NB: It must be remembered that walking with a group is not the same as walking alone. All walkers must stay together and in constant contact with the leaders.
Programme for 2015
January 11th Co. Westmeath ….. Kilbeggan to Ballinagore
February 1st Co. Tipperary …….. Devils Bit
March 1st Co. Wicklow ….. Sugar Loaf & Bray to Greystones
April 12th Co. Sligo ….. Ben Bulben-Daltry Mts
May 10th Co. Galway ….. Benlettery & Ballinahinch
May 29th/June 1st Ben Nevis Scotland.
Leave Friday travel by plane/rented car return Monday pm. Booking must be confirmed with deposit of €100 by 31st January to Paul Blackie, Lissywollen, Athlone, Co. Westmeath.
June 14th Co. Clare …. Burren Fanore to Blackhead
July 31st to 3rd August Weekend in Donegal.
Leave Friday return Monday. Please book for this trip with club phone by 30th May ‘15. Deposit of €50.
September 5th (Saturday) ….. Devils Mother – Connemara …. Killary Harbour
October 4th Co. Carlow ….. Carlow to Bagenalstown
October 23rd to 26th Oct …… weekend in Belmullet – Co Mayo. Leave Friday, return Monday.
Booking must be confirmed with deposit of €50 to Jim O’Connor, Garrycastle, Athlone by August 29th.
November 8th Co. Meath …. Boyne Valley
December 6th Co. Clare ….. Burren Walk